Frequently Asked Questions
How hot will the kiln and fume hood get during kiln firings?
Depending on the cone level being fired, the outer skin of a kiln will typically reach between 300˚F and 500˚F (149˚C and 260˚C) while the Vent-A-Kiln or Vent-A-Fume hood will not typically get above 150˚F (66˚C).
Will a Vent-A-Kiln / Vent-A-Fume system lower the room temperature?
Yes. In a confined kiln room without a ventilation system, temperatures can range from 110˚F to more than 160˚F (43˚C to 71˚C) depending on the room’s starting ambient temperature. This makes for an unfavorable and uncomfortable environment. To ensure optimal operation of kilns and controls, kilns need to operate in an environment between 32˚F and 100˚F (0˚C and 38˚C). By removing fumes and heat, our systems help keep the room temperature lower for a more comfortable working environment.
Is it possible to utilize one Vent-A-Kiln / Vent-A-Fume system for two kilns not being fired at the same time?
Yes. By using our swinging wall bracket, aligning the kilns as described in Installation, Operation & Maintenance (IOM) manual. Please do not hesitate to contact us if further explanation is needed after reviewing the manual.
Can I use one system to vent both my kiln and a soldering station?
Yes. We can modify the standard Vent-A-Kiln system to vent your kiln and soldering station simultaneously or individually when one or the other is not being used. Please contact us for details.
What diameter flexible hose does the Vent-A-Kiln / Vent-A-Fume system need?
- Systems that have our 265 CFM (P-11) blower use a 5-inch diameter flexible hose.
- Systems that have our 500 CFM (P-10) blower use a 6-inch diameter flexible hose.
- Higher CFM fans typically utilize 8-inch diameter flexible hose; however, please consult factory for proper fan and duct size.
Can I use more than 10 feet of flexible hose?
We do not recommend utilizing more than 10 feet of flexible hose on the intake with our standard 265 CFM and 500 CFM fans. The flexible hose has a resistance to air flow and decreases the efficiency of the fan units. If it is necessary to use more than 10 feet of flexible hose, please contact factory for proper fan selection.
Can the flexible hose handle the heat?
Yes. The hose is fabricated from a triple-ply laminate fiberglass scrim. It adheres to an aluminized polyester face and aluminum foil backing. It has a temperature rating of -20˚F to 250˚F (-29˚C to 121˚C). The standard Vent-A-Kiln/Vent-A-Fume system has a typical exhaust temperature of less than 150˚F (66˚C) depending on what cone level the kiln is being fired.
What is the longest duct run I can have?
- The 265 CFM fan (P-11) can utilize: (a) 10 feet of flexible hose with one 90˚ elbow; or (b) 5 feet of flexible hose, 10 feet of smooth wall duct and one 90˚ elbow; or (c) 5 feet of flexible hose and 15 feet of smooth wall duct with no elbows.
- The 500 CFM fan (P-10) can utilize: (a) 10 feet of flexible hose with two 90˚ elbows; or (b) 5 feet of flexible hose and 20 feet of smooth wall duct and one 90˚ elbow; or (c) 5 feet of flexible hose and 25 feet of smooth wall duct with no elbows.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept all major credit cards, checks or money orders and wire transfers. Checks will delay shipment of orders by approximately two (2) weeks for processing. Purchase orders are accepted from schools and companies; however, credit must be pre-approved for all companies.
Do you have a question?
If you still have questions not addressed above please send us an email or give one of our professionals a call: